Thursday, August 9, 2007

Mark - manager and friend

To the Stern Family,

I'd like to offer my heartfelt condolences during this difficult time. I hope the brief comments that I can share here might help to ease some of the pain you're all going through.

As a newly hired rotation Engineer, I began working for Intel and was placed in PBCA with Mark as my manager in February '06. From our first phone conversation I could tell that it was going to be a pleasure working for this guy. His enthusiasm, charisma and quick wit came across instantly and our common history from Seattle to Germany helped us form an initial bond that grew immensely over the 6 months I worked for him.

As other rotation engineers can attest, Mark was first and foremost a friend and mentor to me. His easy going attitude and sharp intellect combined was the picture of excellence - a stand out role model who was respected by peers and management alike. He always made time for me and exercised patience when I didn't understand. Since my departure from PBCA, I have recommended Mark on multiple occasions to peers considering the rotation, as the best manager I’ve ever had.

Mark was also a genius with PowerPoint ~ turning out immaculate performance foils with ridiculous speed, the man would have contended for the world championships of foil creation if there was such a thing.

'Poppa' or 'Dr' Stern as we often jokingly referred to him, could frequently be seen with a wide-eyed smile and a kind or funny word in passing. He was the type of guy who made coming to work an enjoyable experience and reminded us that there was always some fun to be had in the most strenuous of situations.

I feel blessed to have had the privilege of knowing Mark Stern. A warm smile and hug to all of Mark’s family ~

Kevin Mueller

No comments: